
We just can't get over what a beautiful state Oregon is! Just when we thought we've seen all it's beauty we go on a road trip and see more glorious sights! We spent the past few days camping, hiking, fishing, and playing in the Cascade Mountains. We met our friends the Bastings on Friday and it was so fun to go on a camping trip with friends.
The first night we arrived around 9 that night. It was getting dark so we hurried and set up our tent and went for a night hike. We couldn't get over seeing the stars so bright. Many would think little or nothing at star gazing, but since we've moved to Tillamook we never see stars at night because it is always cloudy!
We stayed in the Three Creeks Campground on the Deschutes National Forest. I must admit I was a tad bit worried because we were camping in a wilderness area without any running water or real restrooms. But let me just say that it was great! I loved it! I really and honestly love camping! So thanks to great husband who saw potential in teaching a wife how to love camping in the great outdoors--you succeeded Nate, I owe it all to you!
Friday was sunny but quite chilly in the morning. We went for a hike around the lake and did a little exploring on the mountain side. While exploring our campsite Nate found a few toads to play with. Mara loved holding them and watching them jump around. Nate has really wanted to become a real fisherman. He attempted to catch a little fish while we were there, he has all the gear but hasn't got much luck! Good try honey--don't give up!
One of my favorite parts of the day was rowing a boat around the lake. We rented rowboats and paddled around the lake taking it all in: the sun, air, water--!! It was great. Mara did not want to wear her life jacket. She wasn't too sure about this rowboat. In fact she cried the first twenty minutes. By the end she was putting her hands in the water and walking from the front of the boat to the back and really enjoying herself. Ty loved the rowboat. He said "This is so fun it tickles my nose!" He even tried out the oars himself and did quite well--for a four year old!
We went for a great evening hike up to another lake. It was a perfect hike for the kids, about 3/4 of a mile and both Mara and Ty hiked it both ways. The lake was full of tadpoles and frogs. I'm not usually one to touch moving creatures such as lizards, frogs, and snakes, but I'd do most anything for my kids and I felt like I needed to set a good example so I too caught these cute little green amphibians and it was awesome!That night we had a really nice evening around the campfire. We had a yummy dinner of chicken stew and what says camping more than roasting marshmallows? Ty As we sat around the campfire all the kids fell right to sleep in our arms! They were too tired from the hike and long play day they went right to sleep and we stayed up talking with Seth and Amber around the campfire.
Saturday morning we had a big day ahead of us. We planned to hike the Tam Mcarther Rim Trail. It is a strenuous 5.5 mile hike, winding switchback, up the steep mountain, along the rim to the very top to a breathtaking view all the way around of mountain peaks and valley below. I knew Nate and I would have no problem with the hike, Mara was all set in her backpack but I wasn't too sure how Ty would hold up- he's nearly too big for his backpack and he'd be hiking up the mountain on his own. I just want to say that this kid never ceases to amaze me. I knew he was an incredible little boy, full of energy and is just awesome, but I left yesterday with a whole new view of what a strong, and courageous little guy (tough guy) I really have! As we started up the mountain he wanted to be the leader! He set the pace for everyone else! He didn't once complain of being too tired. He kept hiking and when he needed a break he stopped for a minute and said "I need a little rest" and just kept pushing along. It was a really neat experience to hold his hand up the mountain and talk to him. When we reached the top we all had lunch and rested our weary legs. Ty and I were walking along the rim and people stopped us and asked "Did he hike all the way up here on his own?" They were astonished that such a small kid would be able to hike such a strenuous hike. "We start them young" I told them! It was incredible to feel like you were on top of the world. You could look out and see up to Mount Hood, Mount Washington, and other mountain peaks. We looked down below and saw the lake we had previously rowed our boat around. It was definitely worth the energy getting up there. On the way down we could tell Ty was getting tired. We all were, but he ran down the mountain setting the pace one more time for the rest of us. On one part Ty said "Daddy can I please ride on your shoulders." He took a turn riding in the backpack for less than a quarter of a mile. I'm sure his little legs were tired! Then he got out and kept on hiking down. What a trooper! I'm so proud of Ty for not giving up and making it to the end. He is a great example to me and so fun to be around. I'm glad I had that bonding experience hiking up and down the mountain with my Ty, he sure is the greatest son!!
Across the road from the trail head was a perfect little stream to soak or hot and tired feet in. It felt so good and refreshing to put our feet in the cold stream. The other thing that hit the spot was the tasty blackberry and black raspberry shakes from the Snowcap-- a famous little icecream shack in Sisters on the way out of town!


2 comments:
Thanks for all the photos. Your captions are delightful and right on the mark. I loved the picture of Nate in boat with the yellow shades. What a cool guy!. He is so incredibly wonderful to you, Ty and Mara. All the pictures of him are happy ones. He loves adventure. You two are a great team.
Thanks for updating the blog often. Because I can reach out and touch you, this blog helps me know you day by day as I share in your fun times.
These are such good days. I am grateful for the gospel in your lives, your good health, and your great positive attitudes.
Have a group hug from Mimi and Papa.
We love you!
I love that you guys get out and have fun adventures! The kids will always remember these times! I loved the times we went camping as a family. You guys are such great parents to your kids! Its so fun to see what you're up to! You're amazing Erica! Simply amazing!!!! To think... it just seems like yesterday we were at the USU football homecoming game and we thought the boys hated us for that scavenger hunt that took them longer than we thought and you thought your engagement would be off. Oh the days :) Memories are fun to build! And the ones with your family are the best!!!
Post a Comment