Thursday, July 1, 2010

Western Mining & Railroad Museum

Just 9 miles up the highway is a cute little town called Helper. Last Saturday we went to Helper to visit the Western Mining & Railroad Museum. It was a cool little place to visit, definitely has the charm of an old mining town.
We went all because there was suppose to be a really great Abraham Lincoln exhibit, well it wasn't much but we did like the rest of the museum!

I love when my kids are friends, and usually they are! It makes my day to see them hold hands and act like they really do love each other!

Nate's explaining how this mining machine works. He actually went down in a mine for his work and saw one of these.

Caleb was more interested in the rocks than the big machines! Very typical Caleb!

Ty was explaining to us how this machine or 'handcart' worked!

Ty never passes up a tree to climb!

There is the seven dwarfs coal car--and there is a little dwarf!

Here is the cannon used in the civil war-- just kidding, I don't know where it's from but the boys really though it was cool!

I'm sure glad I live in the day I do--I don't think I could wear hats like that!

The train exhibit--it would be cooler if it were really running! Under construction!

What kind of face is that silly girl?!

All aboard for the Helper express!

Caleb liked all the exploring and discovering new things....he also liked climbing up and down the stairs, and up the walls! He heard many times "No Caleb, don't touch that. No Caleb, don't climb on that! Museums and Caleb don't really go together unless it is a children's museum full of hands-on-exhibits!
Nate really liked the information on the mine explosions. There were four or five different rooms dedicated to different mines that had explosions. It was sad to think of all the men and women who lost their lives in the mines.
The museum was pretty interesting overall. Full of old and antiques. It was fun to explain to the kids what things were and how they were used: like the old washing machines, hair dryers, blacksmith shops, butter churn...things that they never see these days!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Dad and I will have to see this museum. We know about old things.

The train museum in Pittsburgh was awesome. We were all impressed because it was so detailed and complete.

Sorry we won't be seeing this again.

Another fun day in the Carbon County