Monday, March 14, 2011

Sleep Solution!

My little Caleb boy (who is proving he isn't so little) learned a new trick a couple weeks ago: How to climb out of his crib! NOOOO!! Come on Caleb---for the love of Pete!!! So we had to figure out a different sleeping arrangement than him climbing out of his crib all night long. Not only would he get out of his crib, but his bedroom door would not close tightly and he would not stay in his room! He would either come in our room hoping to climb in bed with us or roam around the house!

My friends suggested a crib tent--no thanks, they are $$$70! What I want is for him to just learn to sleep through the night in his own bed! Is that too much to ask?! But WHY isn't he sleeping through the night? Is he cold? Is he scared? Is he lonely? Does he wet himself? Does he have pain or discomfort?! I just don't know! And it's not like I can just ASK Caleb and he will tell me! So I had to come up with a new sleep solution!

First I took of the railing of his crib and turned his crib into a toddler bed. At least now he's more safe and won't hurt himself jumping out of his crib! Next I tried fixing the door --that's why we have husbands! Nate fixed the door so it closes TIGHT and he can't roam the house. Then I talked to my friend who suggested kid's melatonin, an all natural sleep relaxer for kids!
And finally:

I make him PLAY so hard all day that he is exhausted when it's time for bed!!! One day I took him for a run around the block, after dinner Nate took him again for another run! With the beautiful sunny spring weather we have been playing outside and going to parks as often as we possibly can!!

Climb Caleb! Climb!! Get tired!

The special thing about playing at the park on this day was having our daddy with us! He took off work early so he could spend more time with his family. (He left for Phoenix on Sunday and won't be home for TWO whole weeks! We miss you Nate! Hurry home!)

Two good little climbers having a race to the top!

Mara's new favorite trick: spinning circles upside down on the bar!

Ty chillin' upside down!

This is one of our favorite parks--it has the tallest slides we've ever seen!

Mara enjoying the ride all the way to the bottom!!

Ty's the king of the slide!

What a handsome kid! How can he be so big?!

Are you tired yet Caleb?! Keep playing!

Is that not the sweetest picture of a good big brother helping his little sister on the monkey bars?! So cute!

This daddy just loves his kids! Can you tell?! He loves to kiss them and tickle them, and throw them in the air, and wrestle them!! And the kids LOVE their daddy so much!!

A fun, fun day at the park!

See! He's happier already with the new sleep solution! (Ok, he's faking it! I tucked Caleb in bed and went to see if he was sleeping. I told him to close his eyes and go to sleep and he just started smiling and laughing!!) Oh silly Cay-ub!!
Caleb's actually done better the past few nights. All the exercise and playing has seemed to help him at night! Occasionally I hear a 'knock-knock-knock' on his bedroom door! But he goes right back to bed!!
Keep it up Caleb--we all know this mama needs her beauty rest!!

5 comments:

Moores said...

Good job tackling a problem! It sounds like you have some great solutions!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. Keep up the good work. And please send some of your spring sunshine our way, we'd love to go to the park to play.

Andrea said...

Sounds like your solution might be working.
I will say, I found our crib tent on e-bay for about $35. We've used it for both kiddos. Amelia only needed us to zip it once before she realized that if she climbed out, then we would zip it. She hasn't climbed out since.
I just wonder what we're going to do when we move the girls to bunk beds in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will try your tricks!

Andrea said...

Sounds like your solution might be working.
I will say, I found our crib tent on e-bay for about $35. We've used it for both kiddos. Amelia only needed us to zip it once before she realized that if she climbed out, then we would zip it. She hasn't climbed out since.
I just wonder what we're going to do when we move the girls to bunk beds in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will try your tricks!

Danielle said...

I love and miss those little faces so much! You and Nate are such great parents! You always are doing the most fun things! Your kiddos are sure lucky to have you guys!