Sunday, August 15, 2010

Castle Valley Pageant

Last Saturday we headed down to the Castle Valley Pageant. The kids had a fun time learning about the pioneers. They had a pioneer village we could walk around which took us back in time to the early days of the first settlers of the valley. We tried samples of homemade bread and butter. We watched a blacksmith pound his red hot tools --we couldn't quite tell what he was making! We each received a 'prairie diamond': a nail shaped into a ring.

We even took a ride in the horse drawn buggy. It was pretty bumpy but lots of fun. It's a good thing I took plenty of allergy medicine before we left--the horses and dust didn't seem to bother me!

We saw a tipi (or tee-pee!) and a fellow mountain man let Mara try on his hat!

We even went inside the tipi--it was pretty spacious (just glad I have a 2 bedroom apartment instead, things could be worse!)

Mara took a little rest in a board-chair. Kind of tipsy, but kind of cool!

The kids loved the pageant. I wondered how they would do with it being so late, but Ty & Mara stayed awake til the very end! Ty said close to the end "I'm so tired and want to go to sleep but I want to keep watching til the end!" And he did. The pageant was a very good reminder of faith, endurance, eternal marriage, and pioneer heritage.

*I would have taken more pictures but I forgot to recharge my battery*

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I would like to see the Pageant. Perhaps next year.

It is good to be reminded of the pioneers and their sacrifices for all of us.

Don't know if the children will remember. It is a good trip to take.
Did you pack dinner?