Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Little Wild Horse Hike!!

For Fall Break we set out on a little adventure for a hike not too far from our house. I have always wanted to hike the Little Wild Horse trail. It is a slot canyon near Goblin Valley. Nate has hiked it several times but we never have as a family! It was so awesome!
 
The weather was perfect! It's so nice to drive a couple hours south and have warm sunny weather!!
 
 
Carder is ready to hike! He likes to do what the big kids do! He didn't last too long on his own two feet! We would have never made it had he hiked!  
 

 The autumn leaves were vibrant and beautiful!  

I've been more and more impressed with what a good hiker Mara has become! We won't let her be a sissy on our hikes!
 
Ty has always been a good little hiker! I often remember the first hikes we took him on when he was a little boy and he could totally keep up with us! 
 


This ledge we are sitting on went up for a ways, we actually had to climb it up to the top and around a mountain as part of the trail.
 
 We had to hike up and over before we got to the slot.
 
 
 I love this picture of Ty! It looks like he is on top of the world!  

We hiked around this boulder and then back down. The hike is a circle but would take us several more hours so we didn't hike the entire trail.
 
This is the beginning of the slot canyon. The slot canyon was the best part of the hike!
 
Sure love my sweet family! I love the fun times we have together!
 
Fun memories right here!
 
Ty found every nook and cranny to hide in along t he hike!
 
The rock formations were amazing! Check out these holes in the rocks!
 
I don't know how he can fit in that hole!
 
They look like little mice in their holes!
 
Love this picture of all of us in our cubbies!
 
Way to go buddy Caleb! He hiked the entire trail carrying his own backpack!
 
There were so many cool things to hike around, under and through!
 
Just taking a quick break in a nook!
 
Mara is so funny, she has no problems climbing up as high as she can, but when it comes to going back down she starts whimpering!!
 
Can you se me in the center of the slot?
 
What kind of silly face is that Mara?!
 
Looks like Swiss Cheese!
 
Seriously! Coolest hike ever!
 
It just kept getting more narrow!
 
What a little munchkin!
 

Ty climbing steps.
 
Every turn was different!
 
It kept weaving around. Look closely and you can see me and four kids!
 
Mara climbed up on the rocks and made Caleb climb under her legs!
 

It was so narrow it was only as wide as Carder's arm span!
 
There was a slot along the hike that was so narrow Ty had to climb up the rocks in order to let someone go under his legs!
 
I usually get claustrophobic in situations like this, but it wasn't too bad!
 
Cute climbing kids!
 
Cute posing girl!
 
This is where we had our little picnic lunch!
 
Cool rocks!
 
Ty was loving climbing up these rocks!
 
Looks like a tunnel!
 

The human bridge!
 
Only Caleb could walk under this rock!
 
In the shade of the slot canyon it was actually a little chilly!!
 
The other cool thing about the hike was the water puddles we came to. Luckily we didn't fall in, but it made it interesting to find ways around them!
 
I can't wait to hike this place again....next time with John and Tracie!
 
There was one part in the hike that was so narrow I had to take Carder off my back and go sideways or I wouldn't have fit!
 
It felt like a maze!
 
I love southern Utah red rocks!
 
We were amazed at the beauty of the hike! So many different cool rock formations!
 
I love hiking with my baby on my back!
 
The kids even got to rock climb!
 
Daddy and his buddy taking a turn!
 

 We are definitely going to do this hike again! Maybe in the spring! What a fun day! I think what made this day so great was we woke up and just decided to go last minute! We could have stayed home and worked on the house or done things at home but we definitely chose the right playing together as a family!!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I have never seen such an interesting canyon. The rocks look like Swiss Cheese, and the slots are so narrow. You family is making so many fun memories. I am glad that everyone is healthy and likes to hike. Thanks for all the photos. It was fun to see you family in action.
Love Mimi